Fish, or Cut Bait!

Fish, or Cut Bait!

This month marks the 11th anniversary of my precious Dad's homegoing to Glory.  As I recall that day held very bitter/sweet moments as it happened also to be our 25th wedding anniversary.  This sweet Dad also performed our marriage ceremony!  Providence once again was exercised in ways that are still unrevealed to me.  Obviously, it's not mine to know.

After reflecting on these these things recently, I was reminded of a statement my Dad made when days before his departure we had to share with him the grim choices regarding his medical status.  He looked me in the eyes, in his stoic fashion, and simply said, "Make a decision and stick with it!"

How those words have risen to the occasion over and over since that day.  He had just as well said to me, "It's time to fish, or cut bait!" Procrastination and indecisiveness can be serious vices.

While wisdom and patience are always virtues that must be present with us, often while we are on the spot, we will find the need to simply make a choice within the perimeters of the best guidance we have been given.  With God's Word (the Bible) as our authority, we know that the same providence that permitted the circumstance will see us through to the proper resolution.

Knowing that I must trust God, and that He is in control, can I really make a decision that will thwart His purposes?  While including the fact that our personal decisions will impact our lives and others, how does one reconcile the space between?  God controls all, or, my decisions are setting circumstances and their results in motion?  The answer, of course, is actually "yes" and "yes."

But to understand this highly debated truth, one must truly know the God of Scripture Who came to us in His Son, Jesus Christ.  This is totally "His Gift" to those He has called as His own to be able to "will and to do" His good pleasure. (see Phil. 2:13)

When life blind sights us and the pinch is very real for what to do next, let's "fish, or cut bait."  May we prayerfully and humbly submit ourselves to God in our life decisions as He's working things for our good and His purposes. (see Rom.8:27-29)

My Dad made his "decision, and stuck with it."  He's in his eternal home today enjoying the Glory.  What joy awaits us while we press toward this mark as we're busy "fishing."


Blessings in Christ,

Julie

Scripture References:


Phil. 2:12,13  "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."  ESV

Rom. 8:27-29 "And He who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.  For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, in order that He might be the firstborn among many brothers."  ESV

Rom. 9:1-21 "...What shall we say then?  Is there injustice on God's part?  By no means!  For He says to Moses, 'I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.' So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.....So then He has mercy on whomever He wills, and He hardens whomever He wills.  You will say to me then, 'Why does He still find fault?  For who can resist His will?'  But who are you, O man, to answer back to God?  Will what is molded say to its molder, 'Why have you made me like this?'  Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?"  ESV

Comments

Popular Posts