Fruit On The Vine

Written Saturday, June 04, 2011

What a wonderfully, warm day it is outdoors.  I just came in from plowing in my garden and looking over the pretty plants.  Yes, that's right!  That's really all that's out there, for now, pretty plants.  No "fruit on the vine" to speak of as yet.

As I studied those plants, I thought of the life of the Christian and how we are to "bear much fruit."  It made me wonder if often we could be like those "pretty plants," that have the makings of successful productive vegetation.  I'm really expecting vegetables to form on those plants, in abundance.  Just as the Lord is expecting fruit to abound in our lives as believers.

What if my plants never produce anything?  What will I do if I get no produce from the vine?

If I don't pluck it up from the garden, it will simply cumber up the ground and possibly hinder productivity from another plant.  At least, the space would be available to plant something else that would produce.

This brings me to the question of, "What will be the outcome of the believer who fails to produce fruit?"  As I thought about this, I was reminded of some Scripture passages dealing with the need for productivity in the lives of Christians.  How sad it seems it would be for the creation of the great "Creator" to miss out on the purpose for which it was created. 

I leave these verses for meditation as we ponder on being fruitful people for the purpose of our God.

Luke 13:6-9 "A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.  Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?  And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:  And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down."

John 15:5-6 "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.  If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

It seems the key to our fruitful productivity is "abiding in Him."  May we be found doing so.

Blessings,

Julie


Comments

Popular Posts